We offer online training through our Legal Technician Training Institute to subscribers who are not already approved or certified as legal document preparers in the states of Arizona, California, Florida or Nevada.
The primary purpose of our training program is to prepare non-lawyers to provide legal information and legal document preparation services to the general public. Unlike paralegal training which is designed to train paraprofessionals to provide legal support to attorneys, LTTI’s focus is training people who provide support to pro-se filers and other individuals who are able to represent themselves.
This new category of legal information paraprofessional has been labeled variously as a “Legal Document Preparer”, “Legal Information Assistant”, “Neighborhood Legal Information Center Support Professional”, “Legal Technician”, or “Legal Document Assistant.” Whatever the label, what distinguishes this new emerging, paraprofessional is the focus on the delivery of legal information services. Legal information services are not the same as the legal services offered by the legal profession which are, obviously, highly regulated.
LTTI is committed to the idea the citizens have a right to represent themselves in legal actions and that individuals who are not licensed attorneys can provide important information support services to meet the needs of pro se parties.
Our primary educational offering is the Certificate Program in Legal Technician Management.
This online training program designed for managers and owners of legal document preparation businesses and their staff members. At the end of this course you will receive a Certificate as a Legal Technician Manager.
Part I: Creating and Operating Your Legal Document Preparation Business
Unit I: Background and History of the Document Preparation Industry
- Current Regulatory Issues
- The difference between legal advice and legal information
- The difference between a “Legal Technician” and a “Paralegal”
- Paralegal Associations: A Map of the politics of the paralegal profession.
- What you can do and what you can’t do
- Unauthorized Practice of Law issues
Unit 2: The Economics of Operating a Document Preparation Business
- Document Production costs
- Facility Costs
- Personnel Costs
- Marketing Costs
- Other costs
- Document Products
- Complementary Products and Services
- Other Products You Can Offer from Your Retail Space
- Targeting a Niche
- The Role of Lawyers in Your Business
- How to recruit a referral network of lawyers
- How to pay referral fees to lawyers without violating referral fee or split fee rules
Developing Your Business Plan
Unit 3: Marketing Your Business
- Positioning Strategy
- Marketing without Advertising
- Marketing on the Internet
- Developing A Web site for Your Business
- Yellow Page Advertising
- Classified Advertising
- Distribution Agreements
- Radio Advertising
- TV Advertising
- Pubic Relations Strategy
- Other forms of Promotion
- Developing Your Marketing Plan
- Marketing Your Web Site On-Line
- Marketing Your Web Site Off-Line
Unit 4: Operational Issues
- Finding a retail site
- Office location or retail store?
- Interior Design
- Capital Requirements
- Insurance issues
- Consumer Best Practices: The Agreement Between You and Your Customers
- Suggested Best Practices
Unit 5: Recruiting and Managing Your Staff
- Where to find staff
- Bi-Lingual capability
- Managing and compensating your staff
- Staff training
- Customer Support
- Managing the Counter
- How to work with a customer using the Questionnaires
Unit 6: Technology
- How to Use the Rapidoc’s Document Automation Service
- What you need to know about Rapidocs and Rapidocs file types.
- How to export a Rapidocs file to Word or Adobe .pdf.
- What you need to know about Adobe .PDF file types
- How to use Adobe Acrobat or Scan Soft .pdf Convert to fill in and save information in Adobe forms
- What software programs do you need in your office?
- Other software applications that you can use in your office to expand your product line.
Part II. Legal Products and Substantive Law
Unit 1 : Delivering Legal Information to Customers
- How to deliver legal information without violating UPL
- How to research the Net for legal information
- Other research services you can provide.
Unit 2: Divorce
- How to sell divorce products.
- What you need to know about uncontested divorce.
- What you need to know about our Rapidocs divorce forms products.
Unit 3: Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
- How to sell Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
- Requirements of the new Bankruptcy Reform Act
- How to satisfy the new requirements
- Regulatory issues revisited
- How to use the Bankruptcy Questionnaire, supporting materials, and Bankruptcy Software that is included with your DirectLaw Service.
- Issues in Preparing Chapter 7 Bankruptcies Documents.
Unit 4: Incorporations and LLCs
- How to package your incorporations and LLC’s for maximum profit
- What should be in the Incorporation or LLC package
- How to use your state’s incorporation site.
Unit 5: Wills, Powers of Attorney (Durable and Financial), Living Wills and Health Care Powers of Attorney
- Why every customer needs all of these documents.
- How to sell a will document package.
- What you need to know about the Rapidocs Will’s products and the other supporting document products.
- How to provide legal information about complex estate planning issues.
Unit 6: Living Trusts
- What is a Living Trust?
- Living Trust supporting materials.
- Living Trust Checklist.
- Funding the Living Trust
- Packaging the Product for Your Customers
Unit 7: Consumer Document Services
- Credit Repair Services
- Complaint Letters
- Identity Theft Solutions
Unit 8: Small Business Documents
- Trademark and Copyright Services
- Agreements and Contracts
- Human Resource Documents
- The Employment Manual Product
- Other Small Business Services You Can Provide.
Unit 9: Name Change Products
- Issues in Name Change Forms and Procedure
- Issues in Name Change for a Minor
Unit 10: Service of Process, Notarization and Other Services
- What is service of process?
- Filing Documents.
- Fees you can earn through Service of Process and Filing.
- Notary Services.
- Tax Preparation Services